- Today’s Montenegro is significantly different from the Montenegro of one decade ago. Precisely owing to valuable reforms that we have been implementing within the integration processes, we have progressed in many segments - said President of the Parliament of Montenegro Mr Ivan Brajović at the International Parliamentary Conference “EU and Partners - Embracing Diversity for Stronger Unity”, in which he is participating during his bilateral visit to Georgia.
In the introductory panel titled “EU Integration – A Driving Force for Consolidating Democracy and Prosperity”, the President of the Parliament of Montenegro said, among other things, the following:
- We have strengthened the capacity of our institutions and we are in a position to implement the improved legislation that we have been adopting in a faster and more efficient manner. In economic terms, despite the consequences of the world economic crisis, which has affected almost all European countries, people in Montenegro live better today than ten years ago when the Stabilisation and Association Agreement was signed. Back then, average salaries and pensions were half lower than now. What is even more important is that awareness of the people about the system of values that Montenegro should nourish has been changed.
During the meeting with the Speaker of the Parliament of Georgia Mr Irakli Kobakhidze, they pointed out the significance of parliamentary cooperation for the further deepening of relations between Montenegro and Georgia. They estimated that excellent political cooperation represented a prerequisite for strengthening of cooperation in the field of economy and tourism. In the context of European integration, President Brajović voiced the willingness of Montenegro, as a frontrunner in the process of accession to the European Union, to provide support and expert assistance to Georgia.
Speaker of the Parliament Mr Kobakhidze reminded that our two countries, after their respective renewals of independence, had achieved stability and prosperity, and that they shared common values and aspired to integrate into the European Union.
In the conversation with the President of Georgia Mr Giorgi Margvelashvili, they pointed out Montenegro’s full support to the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Georgia within its internationally recognised borders. In the context of the NATO integration which they also discussed, the President of the Parliament voiced willingness of Montenegro to share its experiences from the integration process with everyone sharing the same values and standards of the Alliance.
Tomorrow, President Brajović will also meet with Prime Minister of Georgia Giorgi Kvirikashvili.
The delegation of the Parliament of Montenegro visiting Georgia also includes an MP and member of the Friendship Group with Georgia Mr Nikola Rakočević.
- Complete speech by Mr Ivan Brajović
- Complete statement by Mr Ivan Brajovićand
- Complete statement by Mr Irakli Kobakhidze
SPEECH BY MR BRAJOVIĆ AT THE CONFERENCE
PRESS STATEMENT MR BRAJOVIĆ
PRESS STATEMENT BY THE SPEAKER OF THE PARLIAMENT OF GEORGIA
VIDEO COVERAGE GEORGIA