- Ivan Brajović was born on 9 March 1962 in Podgorica. He finished primary and secondary school in Danilovgrad, and graduated from the Faculty of Civil Engineering - course of study Transport in Podgorica.
- Prior to introduction of a multi-party system, he was delegate in the Local Assembly of Danilovgrad, member of the Presidency of the League of Socialist Youth of Yugoslavia, Secretary of Montenegro Youth and Vice President of the National Assembly of the Socialist Republic of Montenegro. He is one of the founders of the Socialist Party of Montenegro, Alliance of Reform Forces of Yugoslavia in Montenegro and Social Democratic Party of Montenegro.
- As a member of the Social Democratic Party of Montenegro and on its behalf, he served as Secretary of the Executive Committee, councillor and Vice President in the Municipality of Danilovgrad, MP in the Parliament of Montenegro, MP in the State Union Serbia and Montenegro, member of the Delegation to the Parliamentary Assembly of the Council of Europe. At the fifth congress of the Social Democratic Party of Montenegro in 2001, he was elected Vice President and he has been elected MP at all parliamentary elections held since 2002. Following parliamentary elections of 29 March 2009, on 10 June of the same year, he was elected Minister of Interior Affairs and Public Administration. Prior to this appointment, he worked as assistant teacher at the Faculty of Civil Engineering. Since December 2012, he served as Minister of Traffic and Maritime Affairs.
- At the founding assembly of the Social Democrats of Montenegro (SDCG) of 31 July 2015, he was elected responsible person of the SDCG, and at the fist Congress of 31 January 2016, he was elected first president of the SDCG.
He has received several awards and recognitions, including - Award on the occasion of Liberation Day of Danilovgrad “9. decembar” and Student Award on the occasion of Liberation Day of Podgorica "19. decembar".
-He is married, spouse Dragana, daughters Maša and Dunja and son Tomo. He lives in Podgorica.
- He has basic knowledge of the English and Russian language.